Jewish LIFE Special Events, November and December
Jewish LIFE (Learning Is For Everyone), a community-wide Jewish adult education program serving residents of Somerset, Hunterdon & Warren Counties, has a number of special events planned during November and December. All Jewish LIFE programs are open to the community, and programs are offered at participating synagogues and agencies located in the tri-county area.
- Thursday, November 5 12 Noon at the Birnbaum JCC, Bridgewater. Marty Schniet leads a discussion The Borscht Belt. (Fee: $5/person includes bagels and coffee)
- Tuesday, November 17 at 8pm, The annual Dr. Michael Fink Memorial Lecture takes place featuring guest speaker Alicia Silverman of AIPAC whose topic will be “America & Israel: Worry, Relax, or Both?” This program will be held at Temple Beth of Somerset and is free to the community.
- Sunday, November 15, 9:30am at Or Chadash in Flemington Author Elissa Altman will discuss her book, Poor Man’s Feast – Love Story of Comfort, Desire and the Art of Simple Cooking, (Fee: $10/person in advance or $12/person at the door – refreshments served).
- Thursday, December 3, 12Noon at the Birnbaum JCC, Bridgewater Robert Morris discusses his life experience chronicled in his book, Bobby Wonderful: An Imperfect Son Buries His Parents, (Fee: $5/person includes bagels and coffee).
- Thursday, December 3 at 7pm, “Chopped” champion Chef Rachel Reubin will be at the JCC in Bridgewater for a special Chanukah “Dish” event. Chef Reubin will lead the group in preparing new recipes for the Chanukah holiday, and everyone will enjoy samples of food prepared, wine and receive copies of the recipes. (Fee: $55/person. Registrations must be received by November 30.)
A Chanukah program featuring performances by the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) Ensemble is will take place on Tuesday, December 8 at the Birnbaum JCC, Bridgewater. The evening will include two concert performances -- one for young children and families at 5:30pm and the other for adults at 7:30pm -- as well as a dinner and candle lighting for all guests at 6:30pm. The fee for the adult concert is $35/person, the fee for the young family performance is $25/person, the student rate is $10/person and children under age 12 are free. All fees include the concert and dinner. Patron, Benefactor and Supporter opportunities are also available. For additional information, please contact Laura Friedman at 908-725-6994 x213 or LFriedman@ssbjcc.org.
- Saturday, December 12, 7pm at Temple Beth-El, Hillsborough. The Jewish Film Series will show the film, DeliMan, A discussion and Q & A with filmmaker Erik Greenburg Anjou follows the screening ($5/person suggested donation).
- Thursday, December 17, 12 Noon at the Birnbaum JCC, Bridgewater. “By George: The Story of the Music of George and Ira Gershwin” will be presented. ($5/person includes bagel “and”).
- Thursday, December 17, 6:30pm at the Birnbaum JCC, Bridgewater. The Irma Horowitz Film Series Featuring Falafel and Films, Three Israeli Short films will be shown: Rosenzweig Born to Dance, Getting Serious and The Strength to Tell. (Fee Dinner: $12/person in advance or $15 day of event includes falafel dinner).
- Wednesday, December 16, 12Noon at the Birnbaum JCC, Bridgewater. December wraps up with a return engagement with Judith Viorst. The legendary author’s latest book is Wait For Me – and Other Poems About the Irritations of Marriage (Fee includes luncheon and program: $18/person in advance or $22/person day of event).
To register for all Jewish LIFE special events, please contact the Birnbaum JCC at 908-725-6994 x201 or register on line at ssbjcc.org.
Participating Jewish LIFE agencies and synagogues include: Chabad of Greater Somerset County; Chabad Jewish Center of Southern Somerset County; Chabad of Hunterdon County; Flemington Jewish Community Center; Congregation Kehilat Shalom, Belle Mead; Jewish Family Service of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties; Jewish Federation of Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren Counties; Congregation Knesseth Israel, Bound Brook; Or Chadash, the Reform Temple of Hunterdon County, Flemington; Shimon and Sara Birnbaum Jewish Community Center (JCC), Bridgewater; Jewish Center of Northwest Jersey; Temple Beth-El, Hillsborough; Temple Beth El, Somerset; Temple Har Shalom, Warren; and Temple Sholom, Bridgewater. All events, programs and courses (taught at local synagogues) are detailed in the Jewish LIFE 2015-2016 brochure which is available at the Shimon and Sara Birnbaum JCC or on line at ssbjcc.org/jewishlife.
Editor’s Note: Photos are attached of the IDF Musical Ensemble (Photo courtesy of FIDF) and Chef Rachel Reuben (photo courtesy of Rachel Reuben)