Artist of the Month: Barbara Yaney
Born in Irvington, New Jersey, Barbara learned through her creative family very early on that art and drawing were her passion. From this point on, she would draw her way through life.
Upon graduation from Newark School of Fine and Industrial Art, further studies would include The School of Visual Art in New York City focusing on fine art and illustration. Her sons, Shawn and Max were her inspiration to continue the adventure of a creative career as a freelance artist and designer.
In 1984 she started her own company, Barbara Yaney Design, LLC.
Working from her home and juggling motherhood, she soon began her new career of toy designing, creating and illustrating dolls, and soft plush characters for the toy and gift industry Her numerous clients would include both small domestic start-up, multi-national corporations, and major Foundations.
Her attention to detail, unique characters, and innovative doll designs, reflect and display her use of a bold colored palette with the special spirit of her wide-eyed creations.
Her thirty year career includes:
- Written up in “New Jersey Inventors” Book, by Linda Barth, 2013
- Created the First Doll Collection to raise money for Save the Children Foundation
- Illustrated and Designed for Muppets
- Illustrated and Designed for Disney
- Created the Harley Davidson Bear Signature and 100th Anniversary Collections
- Created Dolls for many Celebrities, including Celine Dion, Marie Osmond, Shari Lewis, Buffy, Country Music stars, TV and Movie personalities etc.
- Awarded Business Woman by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 1984
- Adjunct Professor at several Colleges and Universities in New Jersey
Take a stop in the main hallway to view more of Barabar's work.
Biography supplied by Barbara Yaney.