Purim | What’s The Story?
PURIM |14 of Adar
- Ahasuerus.....King of Persia
- Vashti…..First Wife of King
- Mordechai.....Leader of Jews
- Esther…..Second Wife of King.
- Haman…..Prime Minister and Villain
What’s The Story?
Purim is a fun and joyous holiday. We are commanded to eat, drink and be merry!
Mordechai refused to bow down the the King. Haman decided to destroy the Jewish people. The word Purim means LOTS. Haman drew lots to decide what day to kill the Jewish people. Mordechai and Queen Esther foiled the plot. Haman was killed. We celebrate the Jewish people of Persia being saved from extermination.
- Listen to the Megillah (story of Purim) and make noise when Haman’s name is read to blot it out.
- dress in costume and have a parade
- eat hamantaschen. (cookies shaped in a triangle which represents Haman’s hat)
- purim spiel - a comic play telling the Purim story
- give tzedakah- money or a meal to those in needs
- send food baskets to friends and family
- eat a Purim feast!!
Chag Sameach!! Happy Holiday!!
From the JCC
Do you have a favorite Hamantaschen recipe? Share it with us.