- Lifeguard Training Full Course
- Lifeguard Training Review Course
- Water Safety Instructor Course
- Lifeguard Training Instructor Course
All class fees include the costs of course materials such as books, pocket masks, and certification cards. All materials are distributed on the first day of the class; however, you can have your materials sent to you prior to the start of the course for an additional fee of $15. If you would like this option, please indicate so at the time of registration. All materials must be returned UNMARKED in order to receive a full refund, otherwise you will be charged for the course materials.
Some American Red Cross courses such as the Lifeguard Training and WSI courses, require a pretest as part of the course. These pretests typically take place the first scheduled day of the course. Students should check with the Aquatics office to find out the exact time and location of their pretest. Please remember this pretest is MANDATORY and failure to attend will result in a failure of the course with NO refund.
Proof of Age
The American Red Cross mandates that candidates show valid proof of age by the second class meeting for those courses that have minimum age requirements. We are not permitted to waive the minimum age requirements for any of our training courses.
Certification/Completion of Course
Although our goal as instructors is to help students successfully complete their certification goals, students are sometimes not able to adequately complete the stated requirements for the course. Payment of the course fee and participation in class does not guarantee certification; students must successfully complete all course objectives in order to be certified.
If you and/or your child have questions or concerns regarding your/their ability to pass this course, please contact the Aquatics Department PRIOR to registering.
An 80% refund will be given for cancellations received via email Stephanie Johnson, Aquatics Director (SJohnson@ssbjcc.org) granted the request is received 10 days prior to the start of the class. There are no refunds for cancellations less than 10 days prior to the course start. A 50% refund or a complimentary transfer to another Aquatics Training School scheduled course within the next 6 months will be given to an individual who fails to complete the course prerequisites for the following courses:
- Lifeguard Training Full Course
- Lifeguard Training Review
- Lifeguard Training Challenge
The purpose of this course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Please note, this is a blended learning course. This course consists of classroom and online assignments.
Pre-requisites for the course:
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet first or head first to a depth of 6-10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or stairs.
After successful completion of the course an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED will be issued. These certifications are valid for 2 years..
This course allows a lifeguard to review written and physical skills for Lifeguard Training and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer with an American Red Cross Instructor prior to taking the written and practical portions of the Lifeguard Training recertification test. Prerequisites for review: Must possess current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, CPR/AED for Lifeguards, and First Aid certifications. Successfully complete all the practical skills of lifeguard training test and score 80 percent better on all written sections. Must bring pocket mask and valid ARC Lifeguard certification cards to the challenge.
This course will train instructor candidates to teach water safety, including the Basic Water Rescue and Personal Water Safety courses, six levels of Learn-To-Swim, three levels of Preschool Aquatics and two levels of Parent and Child Aquatics.
Prerequisites for this course include:
- Be at least 16 years of age on or before the last day of the instructor course
- Possess a Fundamentals of Instructor Training Certificate issued within the last year or possess a current national Health and Safety Services Instructor Authorization. Those that do not possess one of these will need to attend the Fundamentals of Instructor Training course offered on the first day of the course.
- Successfully complete the precourse section
After successful completion of the course an American Red Cross certificate for Water Safety Instructor will be issued. These certifications are valid for 2 calendar years. All authorizations expire on December 31 of each year. Initial authorization may be for less or more time depending on when training is completed.
The purpose of the instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach the American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Waterfront Skills, Waterpark Skills, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, Administering Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission courses and/or modules. Instructor candidates will also become familiar with Junior Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue. This course consists of classroom and online assignments. The JCC will provide you with a prepaid coupon code the week 3-5 days prior to the start of the course for you to register for the blended learning component through the American Red Cross. After successful completion of the course an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED instructor will be issued. These certifications are valid for 2 years.
Prerequisites for this course include:
- Be at least 17 years old on or before the last day of the course.
- Possess one of the following:
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- A Current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
- An equivalent certificate from another organization.
- Successfully complete the Pre-course section (online Orientation to the Red Cross, online Orientation to the Lifeguarding course, and the online Lifeguarding Instructor Pre-course exam with an 80 percent score or better.